Founded February 15, 1942
Back in 1942 fifty-eight male residents of the New
Hyde Park area felt that they wanted to get involved in
religion, in charity, in a united organization, and in
each other. The answer to their needs was The Knights of Columbus. Requirements, as set forth by Supreme, were met by eager men who knew what they wanted. On February 15, 1942 , New Hyde Park Council #2852 became a reality. The framed charter, bearing fifty-eight names, proudly decorates the business office wall of our Council home today.
Memory recalls a small structure on the property of our building site, which was called the Red Barn. Every member knew that once the Red Barn was torn down, our new building would not be far behind. Ground breaking took place on Columbus Day in 1961. In June of 1962, our doors were opened to all, at a formal dedication. In 1990 renovations were made to the building as you see it today.
New Hyde Park Council is particularly pleased with an innovative idea that one of its leaders planned and turned into one of our proudest hours. In 1984, the first annual Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony took place in New Hyde Park. Since that time the celebration has been expanded, through a New York State Resolution, to Councils throughout the nation and elsewhere. This conceived plan to combine the spiritual beauty of the coming of Christ with the fraternal strength of our Knights has been the most successful endeavor of this Council since the dedication of its home. This event has made this Council proud.
Our Council is also proud of those members who initiated a wake service for the deceased. Our service was later recognized as the official New York State Wake Service, which has been adopted by Councils throughout the state.